Feb 4, 2013

Needled

A new verb has been added to my vocabulary, needled! I officially began acupuncture today. My parents have been my biggest fans, and due to their wonderful love and support have gifted me funds to begin my treatment. Currently we are not covered for infertility services and with my husband in grad school, funding service through our doctor have been put on hold. Until the time we have infertility coverage, we have only been able to go about having a baby the old fashioned way. As you may have guessed, it has not been successful.

Thus, began a conversation in which my mom insisted that they would begin funding my acupuncture treatments in order to increase my odds while we are in health insurance limbo. I immediately teared up on the phone, I finally felt like I could be proactive with our circumstances. In addition, I was so touched, but not surprised, my parents have always put their children first. I know how much I have been in their thoughts and prayers, grateful for their silent support. My mom told me that they have held their tongues, knowing what a painful ride this has been and that any "checking-in" questions added to the suffering. Now that a year has past, it was time, and my parents were ready to take action. (THANK YOU!)

I was not at all nervous leading up to the appointment, I added it to my calendar and that was that. I didn't know what to expect and did feel a bit anxious as I sat in the waiting room. It just felt good to be moving forward. I was pleased to find out how comprehensive the questioning was, how integrated our body really is. You know it is, but eastern medicine really drives it home. To mention the purpose of the visit, being needled doesn't feel good and can be very uncomfortable. After all the needles are in and settled there is a wave of calm that rushes over you. I will note there were a few difficult sticks, but in my mind that was confirmation I was where I needed to be.

Thank you to my mom and dad for helping us with our journey to become parents!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your thoughts.